I am a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Linguistics at the University of Connecticut, and a Senior Scientist at Haskins Laboratories. I am an affiliated faculty member of the CT Institute for Brain and Cognitive Sciences, and a former fellow of the UConn Humanities Institute.
My main research interest is to better understand the human language faculty. Primarily I examine this by studying the structure and acquisition of American Sign Language, and by looking at the process of language acquisition across different languages. See my Research page, the Sign Linguistics and Language Acquisition lab site, and the site for the Binational Bimodal Bilingual Language Development Project for more information.
- August 2018 Update August 22, 2018
- Sign Language Acquisition – ASL text NOW AVAILABLE! June 18, 2018
- Sabbatical in the Netherlands January 26, 2018
- GALA and other presentations September 19, 2017
- Classes have started! August 29, 2017